The issue on hand: The Gates (Effluent treatment gates) were situated in one of the leading Petrochemical Industries, M/s. BPCL (Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.). The refinery is into petroleum refining and processing. As per the norms of MSPCB, the processing unit pumps in lots of water for the internal cooling of various processing unit and is sent back to sea once the work is complete. When the used water is let off into the sea, there is always a possibility of oil and other contaminants entering the sea, especially when there is an inflow of water during high tide. The Conventional system used was of Chain-Pulley Block for the operating the Storm water gates also known as Nallah Gates.
As the Refinery is located near the sea, it is prone to high and low tide. Low tide acts as a baffle during High tide, At the same time these gates baffles (prevents) the oil spillage and crude waste entering into the sea and prevent pollution.
There are 4 gates having individual Chain-Pulley system. The gates are of Mild Steel of 2.3 meters (W) x 2 meters (H) x 10mm (T) and weigh 900 kgs approx. guided by Channels duly fixed on the wall on both sides. Though it was convenient to operate these gates through conventional system it also came with the following challenges for the User:
- The movements of gates were very slow.
- During heavy rainfall or flood, it was difficult to operate the gates due to heavy water pressure. As a result, the accumulation of drain water inside the plant was creating havoc.
- More man power required to manage the contingency.
- There was no standby mechanism available except Chain-Pulley system.
- Implementing the new advanced system without disturbing the existing structure and its functioning was a big concern.
- Safety norms of BPCL prohibit welding / cutting etc. work in hazardous area.
Solution: ARHAM successfully provided a lasting solution in spite of all these limitations by introducing a fail proof automatic system for Lifting the Gates and designed the complete system as per their site conditions by adopting the following steps.
- New Steel Structure was designed, fabricated and installed without disturbing the old structure.
- Provision of Winch-gear system for individual gates coupled with Electrical flameproof system (viz: Motor, Panel etc.) resulting in quick movement of gates.
- Single common flameproof Panel for all gates with Push Button operations resulting in single man power. Even during flood or heavy rain, the operations of gates can operate without any difficulty thereby increasing the efficiency of the plant.
- Converted the chain-Pulley system as a stand-by mechanism.
- Providing Cage Ladder and Platform for ease in accessibility to the system
ARHAM thanks BPCL for having reposed faith and giving us an opportunity for complete Designing, Installation & Commissioning of a new era of project, the first of its kind implemented in their premises.